Monday, October 25, 2010

You only THINK you know what is right for me.

I am currently engaged in a facebook conversation that is irking me. It is a conversation i have had with a lot of people a lot of times before. It is the "Now Carmen, just because you have had a bad experience with a man in the past, doesn't mean you should give up. There are lots of nice men out there..." conversation.

I am of above-average intelligence. Not bragging, it's fact. I am aware that there are good men out there. I even personally know some of them. I just don't want one. And that drives my female friends crazy. I have NEVER had a man question my man-hating stance funnily enough. Men let me be. Women try to beat me down and convince me that not only should I be looking for a man, I should WANT a man.

What the hell? Wasn't this the point of the feminist movement? To prove that women are equals and that we don't need men? When a man enjoys being single and makes no attempt to seek a partner, short-term or long-term, it's no big deal. So why am I constantly being berated for my position?

My friends know my current feelings towards being in a relationship with anyone, and they try to draw the debate argument out of me by constantly bringing it up. These people are supposed to be my friends??? I am already stressed about the topic, being dragged through courts because of this bad experience. Stop kicking me when i am down?

The only thing I can think is that it somehow threatens them because i don't want a man!?! I have never said I never want a man again, only that i don't want one now.

Now i am going to change tabs and end the conversation and imagine all the judgemental things my 'friends' are thinking about me.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps it's just the way they were raised... I used to think you had to coupled with someone to be truly happy, but since ditching religion, that has gone by the way side as well.

    So I kind of get it, but being a guy, I've never had a desire to harass anyone about it though... I don't get that part of it.

    Perhaps you need some better facebook friends...

    Like me perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know many women who need a man to be happy (at least they think that's what will make them happy). But I think being happy regardless of whether you have a man or not is extremely healthy. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...

    I'm not happy or healthy though- but that's for compltely different reasons.

    People (women) who think they can't be happy without a man are no diferent than people who think money buys them happiness. happiness is within.

    Consider yourself 'added' Urban Koda, and feel free to jump in and defend myhonour anytime :)

    ReplyDelete