Sunday, October 10, 2010

Church for Atheists/ NonChurch/ UnChurch??

I have an idea. Hold onto your seats.

I've never been a member of a church, but I have been privy to some of the perks. The community. I've been to craft groups and playgroups run by churches and the feeling of community and friendship is awesome. Could be just love-bombing to trap me into their cult but it could be real community.


I've been a member of a single parent support/social group. That was pretty good, except the membership dwindled so much I was the only parent of young children left so I didn't have much in common with the ones left- all their kids had grown up and left home. That was good while it lasted.


And I did look into becoming a scout leader. I was a brownie/girl guide on/off during my younger years and I thought it would be beneficial to my social life, my career and my daughters. Then I found out about the promise to serve God (and all of a sudden repressed memories of me mumbling that bit during my own guide meetings came flooding back).


So what if we combined all these things and did them together WITHOUT RELIGION. Members wouldn't have to be atheist/agnostic but there wouldn't be promises to God or pressure to attend church. We could have 'Youth groups' like churches do and scout type activities, just without the shared (mandatory) prayer. We could go on camps together and fun stuff like bowling etc and get group discounts and share the fun together.


You don't have to go every week, you just get a list of activities and join in on the ones that interest you. Everyone 'hosts' an event (organises it) or two a year and we all widen or network of friends and give our children back COMMUNITY.


Whaddya Reckon?

3 comments:

  1. THIS. MUST. HAPPEN. we will talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I like your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey look at this. It does have membership fees (Boo!) but it looks like you might be able to 'earn' membership by hosting events.

    www.getalife.com.au

    ReplyDelete