Saturday, October 9, 2010

One is the Lonliest number.

I am really depressed. I can't remember feeling this depressed for a very long time. With my history, that's a pretty big call.

I have been medicated for depression for 6 years. It took a while to get the drug and the dose right and I went to a very helpful course with other new mum's suffering depression and learnt a lot of skills to manage my depression when the medication isn't enough. Trouble is, when your feeling this depressed, you really don't want to do anything to help yourself get out of it (this is called the downward spiral).

Serious things have not gone my way recently, things that make me very anxious. Anxiety is just another form of depression we learnt. I know its bad when I can't sleep- I'm one of those 'Damn right I'm good in bed, I can sleep for days!' people (that was going to be the title of this post, but too upbeat for how I'm feeling). The last time I couldn't sleep was when our young family was seriously looking at being homeless- that's how serious it has to be before I lose sleep. I haven't slept properly at night for over a week.

Mostly the problem is I don't have a large "Support Network". I don't have a lot of friends, I had a vey small family to start with, before a lot of them turned their backs on me, and the things that usually keep me sane, work, dancing etc aren't on in the school holidays.

If you know someone with depression, or maybe someone with little or no family, call them, please.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to how you’re feeling. I wish I had some advice for you but I’m still trying to figure out how to handle it all myself. Just wanted to let you know that I understand and you are not alone. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you are feeling so awful. I hope that things pick up once school goes back next week. I find school holidays to be a bit dodgy in terms of my mental health too as it is harder to find time to do the things that keep you sane but I can't complain really, I have a pretty good support network. I wish you had more family on your side, that's pretty rough if your family can't support you through the hard times! All I can think to say is things get better, I promise. It's a tough gig you've got there and I have no idea how you get through but you do and you will again. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :D

    I know I'll survive. I went for a walk not long after witing that and felt a little better.

    I think I just needed to put it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I can be, whilst on the other side of our tiny planet... I'm here for you TGIAA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Guys!
    It does actually help to 'talk' abut it on here and the little msgs of support, no matter how far they've travelled, are actually really comforting.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete