Sunday, July 18, 2010

Knock Knock, Who's There?




I have a regular visitor- If you haven't guessed by now she is my local, friendly Jehovah's Witness. She keeps coming because I haven't thought of a suitably polite, but firm way of telling her not to. But i don't really mind. She is really a very nice lady, and not too pushy with the preaching, she has a chat and a laugh (even if some of my jokes border on offensive to her) and she doesn't stay long. She doesn't knock if she sees another car in the driveway and she seems to have at least a level of respect for the fact that I don't share her beliefs. It's a good relationship, I'm not rude or threatening to her, and she is the same with me. She gets to spend some of her ten hours a week here, and I like to feel that the time she spends at my house is time NOT spent at someone else's house-someone who might be tempted to fall for her fairy stories.
I am a single mum, of two young girls, so adult conversation around here is sometimes very limited. Usually, she comes over and gives me the latest publications and answers the question I had for her last time, or reads me a passage from her bible that she relates to current events, and then I ask her a question and we make small talk and she goes back to her car and writes my question in her diary to answer the next time. I grew up without any religion in my life, and it's a chance for me to learn something about them, as well as blogs ;)

All this is really an introduction for follow-up posts about the questions I ask her, and her answers. The first one, about Dinosaurs, is a doozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment