Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Simple Pleasures

So a couple years ago I was involved in a little self-help, support type group for new mums with depression and/or anxiety issues. We learnt a lot of really useful stuff. Oneof the things we learnt was to take time out for a personal 'pleasure' (not rude!) at least 4 times a day. I know what you're thinking- 4?!?! A day!?!? How am I going to find time for that? I know that's your reaction because that was our (loud) reaction.

So we were calmed down and it was explained that the pleasures needn't be 'big' things and they actully don't necessarily take any more time out of your day. For example, when I was asked, I said one of the things I liked to do was just to have a cup of tea in peace and quiet- I had a 6month old and 21month old at the time. If I did actually find time to make a cup of tea, I usually got distracted and didn't end up drinking it, because the wshing machine stopped or the phone rang or a baby cried. And thn when I found the cold, undrunk? tea I felt even worse - I'm so useless I can't even drink a cup of tea before it goes cold I'm so unorganised!

After a bit of probing it was discovered that get out of bed at 7am every day, put on some washing and do some other stuff before the baby wakes (between 7 and 7:30am). So it was put to me- what if the first thing I do when I get up isn't washing but to enjoy a cup of tea? The washing will still get done and I get one of my pleasures in. And it a nice way to start the day.

Another scenario- I like a cup of coffee,but now I just drink it in between getting the kids ready for school and making lunches etc. So wht if you sat down and enjoyed your coffee first? Then you could savour it and relax and then you would feel happy and refreshed and better able to deal with the morning rush.

Doing the chores during the ads of your favourite show is also a no-no. You come back one minute too late and miss a crucial part. Just give yourself permission to do nothing but enjoy the program for half an hour. Much better.

On that note, my show has just come on, so I will take my own advice and post the est of this thought later : )

No comments:

Post a Comment