Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Simple Pleasures Part II

So where was I? Oh Yeah- make your pleasures count! Don't try to 'multi-task' pleasures and don't allow distractions. Coz then they're not pleasures any more.

I used to follow the 4 pleasures a day rule very well with the support of a friend and a handy list on the fridge. Then life got in the way and it dwindled. And then I forgot about it. Now I need it again and I'm trying to remember what was on that list??? A cup of Tea, sure. But the others I can remember aren't really the same for me any more. So, to make a new list! It should be fun, making a list of all the things I love doing, but it's not, it's daunting. And I'm procrastinating because the making of the list means I have to ask myself awkward questions and stuff. Like- "I know! Eating chocolate-I love eating chocolate. I think. Do I? I mean I do it a lot, but do I really get pleasure from it? No, not really, any amount of pleasure I might feel is always overwhelmed by the inevitable guilt. So why do I do it? Habit? I don't know. This is too hard!"

And then I realise I have no real hobbies or interests. I do stuff, like crafts and knitting and netsurfing, but I realy only do it to fill in time. So what makes me happy? Eww, another awkward question. I'm even questioning whether or not I'll post this now, because I feel like a tool! How hard can it be? So my list so far is:

Weeding (no laughing)
Watering the lawn
cup of tea (in peace!)
Bath 'n' book combo
internet

Now I'm no mathmetician, but at 4 a day I'm gonna need more than that. Or I am going to have to start weeding and watering the whole suburbs gardens. Time to look inside myself (Gulp) and ask the hard questions. Tomorrow - I am a procrastinator after all ;)

If you would like to share the little pleasures that help you get through your day, please comment!

3 comments:

  1. If we're going to put our pleasures that people possibly won't believe on here then I have to admit to putting the clothes on the line/taking them off (I think because it's outside, I am working but I am relaxed, I'm helping the environment... it just seems to have immediate benefits and I like it damn it!!)

    Brave post my dear friend. I agree it is not as easy as one might first think. I'm going to have a brainstorm of my own and get back to you.

    As for chocolate, sometimes it gives me great pleasure. Usually if I haven't had it for a while. If you like lists then you might like trying this little trick. I see how many days I can go without chocolate and then reward myself accordingly, like 1 day without chocolate equals 3 solid easter eggs the next day, 3 days without equals 9!! ... I'm so sad... but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting on make-up and
    painting my nails are added to the list :)

    And you are welcome to come over any time you like and hang my washing Maureen :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like making tea from leaves in a teapot, its the ceremony i think, heating the teapot and the cup, choosing the type of tea ( i like the smell of the white teas best) then waiting for it to brew until its just right, culminating in the fun of pouring it. teapots are such fun. Now if only I liked tea. haha

    ReplyDelete