Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dear School Council,



About 3 weeks before the end of Term 4, 2010, I went to my daughters school to watch my youngest receive her first Honour Certificate (for her paper bag fish).

It was at this assembly I got to hear the school creed. WTF? I have seen it written in the admin area but I have been to many assemblies and never heard it RECITED BY THE INNOCENT CHILDREN before. It was a bit weird, because the Deputy Principal introduced it as "the new school song" and not the creed. Hiding anything???

I was more than a little bit peeved, because at this stage it looked like the school had decided to include weekly prayer recital without consulting/informing the parents! I checked with my daughter's class teacher, and she explained that it is the same lyrics as the old 'school song', but they decided to cut the singing and make this kids say it so you could actually understand the words (the song was in a very high key and after the first four words is intelligible).

I can't find the words online, but the bit that bothers me is the "promise to love myself, love others and love GOD" bit.

I wrote a proper letter including supporting documentation from the relevant education department policies and legislation outlining my concerns and officially withdrawing my children from participation in this religious ritual IMMEDIATELY.

I wrote a separate letter to the school council asking them to address my concerns and consider scrapping the recital of the 'creed' at assemblies altogether. And I asked other parents if they disagreed to write also.

I may submit this video too.

P.S. They have only had one proper assembly since I wrote the letter, and the kids were taken out of the hall for the creed as requested. I am informed by Miss 5, that Miss 6 was initially upet at being segregated, but was comforted by her teacher. We discussed why I wanted them to be outside for the creed and she seems fine with it. it hasn't been tested again since, but we'll see. I'm hoping to convince othr parents who don't gree to withdraw their kids also, so that it becomes too much of a hassle and they just drop the creed. Fingers crossed, eh?

Thanks to DarkMatter2525 for the video. I recommend his channel on YouTube, as wel as QualiaSoup and TheraminTrees

No comments:

Post a Comment